Sunday 29 December 2013

Small repair

OK, been a bit of a while since I updated the blog. Main reason is that there hasn't really been much to add. I have been very happy with the PP18 amplifier so far. However the other day all fell silent. I switched it on, let it warm up, hit the standby and then... silence.

OK, I thought, lets try different cables, different speaker. Still no good. Off with the case it was then.

I worked through Barry's extremely useful test procedure listed here:

http://www.ampmaker.com/pp-18-initial-testing-1044-0.html

when it became obvious what the problem was. One of the bus wires wasnt actually soldered to one of the turrets. It was just sort of held against it! And had decided that it wasnt having it any more. A quick blob of solder on the offending connection and the tests ran OK.

It was then a case of plugging in the speaker, mains cable and guitar and hey, the magical sound was back again! And sounding better than before I might add. Ahem. Here is a pic of the offending connection, now soldered (marked with an X)




















Yes, I know , it looks a bit nasty. But it works just fine. On Channel 2. After putting the whole lot back together again (and re-gluing some Tolex along the way) it doesnt work on Channel 1. I think I mentioned earlier on in this blog that I didn't like my sockets and the way I had done them. A bit messy. They need re-doing so I can see an order going in to Barry for some new sockets and wire and stuff. More to come!

I mentioned Tolex back there. When building the case, I used a spray-on glue from my local Builders' merchant for the Tolex. It appeared to work well but with time (and heat I suspect) it has started to lift. Really annoying. What I have discovered is that Evo-stik does a much better job (although I suspect that if you wanted to remove it to do a re-Tolex, it might be stubborn). But it definitely holds it well and doesn't lift.

Anyway thats all for now. Happy New Year when it comes!

JW





No comments:

Post a Comment